2011 Exact Radiology Cyclocross Race Report
Phew! What a fantastic day. All those hours of preparation, hard work and anxiety paid off - again. Mother nature even blessed us with the first rain in months, giving us some lovely boggy ground and a filthy, swampy creek.
Andrew Stieler (Ipswich) took home the trophy for the junior race, but kudos must go to Haddon Kilmartin who rode on a tiny BMX when he decided that it was too wet to risk his road bike. The look of determination on his face (blue steel) was almost scary. Kudos also to Shandon Stokes, our smallest competitor, who rode witht true grit and no fuss.
We had great fields for Division 3 and 4. Tim Hooker (Ffast) won division 4 for the second time, making it look easy. Might be time to reassess his grading. Division 1 next year Tim? Rachel Nolan was 1st woman.
Scott Bennie (Ipswich) won division 3, but the best contest of the day was the battle for second between Brendan Earle and David Gordon (Ipswich) that see-sawed from start to finish, with a tyre-width between them at the end.
The survivors of the earlier races then relaxed and/or recovered in the grand-stand with beer, cowbells and supplemental oxygen to watch the combined division 1&2 race. Our elite riders were sent off to the stirring skirls of our resident piper. Joshua Bosschieter won division 1 again, and on a single-speed bike to boot! Aaron Picket-Heaps was the best placed of the division 2 gents.
Thankfully there were no broken bones this year. Plenty of mechanicals though. Three broken chains. And I punctured, bugger it.
- 1st Andrew Stieler (Ipswich)
- 2nd Holly Leisemann (Balmoral)
- 3rd Haddon Kilmartin (Ipswich)
Division 4 :
- 1st Tim Hooker (Ffast)
- 2nd Dean Winchester (Balmoral)
- 3rd Adrian Hulme
Division 3 :
- 1st Scott Bennie (Ipswich)
- 2nd Brendan Earle
- 3rd David Gordon (Ipswich)
- 4th Jason Daly (NRG)
- 1st Joshua Bosschieter (The Riders Club)
- 2nd Klayten Smith (Randwick Botany)
- 3rd Aaron Picket-Heaps (Uni Cycle Club)
Special mentions must go to :
- Craig Mendoza (Mr Incredible) - doing push-ups between the barriers, and (briefly) out-running the leader of division 1.
- All the volunteers who made the day run so smoothly.
- Our sponsors - Exact Radiology, Yamanto Tavern, Yellow Jersey Bike Shop and Trek, Ipswich City Council. And Fatsea’s takeaway for the chip boxes.
See you all at the 2012 Ipswich Cyclocross.
Scott Kirton (Race Director)